Friday, April 20, 2012

Happy month-iversary...now get out!

So Honeyham and I have been married just over a month! I was thinking it might be fun to do something special for our 1 month anniversary, just for fun, but boy was I in for a surprise.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned our apartment on here before, although anyone who knows me has probably heard me complain about it. Basically, the building is not maintained well, the landlords are not very helpful, and best of all our neighbors are terrible, terrible people. You probably think I'm exaggerating, but seriously not a day goes by where we don't hear them shouting at the top of their lungs multiple times - either at their dogs or each other.

But anyway, the day before our anniversary, we got a "nice" surprise. I was home eating dinner while Honeyham was at a meeting. I had heard and seen some construction going on in the complex, but figured they were just fixing something. While eating, someone came to our door. It was someone from the city with a notice that we were to vacate the premises immediately. Um....what?

City guy: "So, I'm sure you heard about the walkway collapsing."
Me: "Umm..."
City guy: "We need you to vacate immediately, here is the notice."

Ok, so clearly it was not just construction going on - a walkway in the complex had actually collapsed and the landlord didn't even think to notify anyone? I had even seen her earlier that day showing people an apartment! The city guy didn't really know how long we would be out for, but suggested we leave ASAP.

Obviously I didn't want to just get out, I had to call Honeyham, get the cats ready, find somewhere to stay, etc. We ended up staying at a friend's house the first night, then going to a hotel until we were able to move back in three or four days later. Thank goodness HH is in law school, as he had a good idea what our best course of action would be. Since we were out for less than a week, we are hoping to negotiate a free months rent as well as some extra money for our increased mileage to/from work and school, hotel costs, etc.

Needless to say, that was not how I pictured spending our one month-iversary, but at least we are back home, and counting down the days until we can move to a MUCH nicer apartment.

I.can't.wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment